Available for Phone and Video Consultations
New York Immigration Lawyer
Call for a free consultation (914) 290-5777

How Can an Attorney Help You Get an Immigration Work Permit

immigration work permit

How Can an Attorney Help You Get an Immigration Work Permit

For an immigrant to apply for a job in the United States, they need one of three things. Those three things are a work visa, a green card, or an immigration work permit. However, work permits are not one size fits all. There are different types of permits and application processes depending on the applicant’s situation.

What is an Immigration Work Permit?

An immigration work permit is a card that allows the holder to apply for a job in the U.S. These cards limit the amount of time that you can work in the country. An immigration work permit is mainly meant for those who are currently waiting for their green card, asylum applicants, or those who are in the U.S. on a student visa.

To apply for a work permit, a person must first be eligible.  If you are unsure about your eligibility consult with an immigration attorney. An attorney can help you determine your eligibility or can help you become eligible if you are not already.

Once you and your attorney determine your eligibility, it is time to fill out the I-765 application form. There are some questions that may be to answer, but you have to try to answer the questions thoroughly. If you have questions about the form, your attorney can help you.

After filling out the form, you must submit it along with proof of your eligibility. Your proof of eligibility could be your visa or your application for a change of status to your immigration status. If you are unsure what to include, your attorney can help.

The last step in the process is to submit the application. Since 2015 it is no longer possible to file the paperwork online. You must mail all of your paperwork to the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services department along with the $495 processing fee. $410 of the fee is for the application; the other $85 is for the biometric services. You must pay with either a check or money order. There is a 90 day processing time for applications.

Things to Remember About Work Permits

  • You must fill out an application to be approved.
  • Not everyone is eligible for an immigration work permit.
  • Work permits have a set expiration date.
  • Only in certain cases will extensions or renewals be considered.
  • A work permit is not a path to permanent resident status in the U.S.
  • Work permits do not automatically renew; you are solely responsible for filing an extension to your immigration work permit.

Because of the complexity, it may be best to have an attorney handle the work permit application for you. Susan Henner has years of experience dealing with the U.S. immigration system. Filing your paperwork incorrectly will result in delays and having to resubmit all of your forms. A New York immigration attorney can make sure that everything is right the first time so that you can get to work as soon as possible.

Are Work Permits and Visas the Same?

No, immigration work permits and visas are different. A working visa application requires that the applicant has a job before coming to the U.S. The applicant’s future employer must sponsor the application for the USCIS to consider it. A work permit requires the applicant to have already a visa that allows them to be in the United States. The work permit is a card that allows an immigrant to apply for jobs in the U.S.

There are different visas for different situations.

  • E Visas: These visas are for nationals of treaty trader countries.
  • H-1B Visa: These visas are for people with a Bachelor’s degree or higher level of education applying for a high skill job in the U.S.
  • L-1 Visa: An L-1 visa is for an employee transferring within a company to a location in the United States.
  • F-1 Visa: F-1 visas are for students to attend American educational institutions.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of available visas. Also, all of these visas have their rules and requirements. If you are considering applying for a visa, consult with a New York immigration attorney to discuss your options. The specific rules and regulations that govern visas are complex. Therefore, you may want the help of an attorney.

Susa Henner Can Help

No matter what your immigration situation is, Susan Henner can help you. Whether you are looking for help applying for an immigration work permit, or you are facing deportation consult with Susan Henner. She will use her years of experience in immigration law to make sure that you know your options and the process from start to finish.

Start Your Defense Today

Request A Free Consultation with Susan Henner

Every client phone call, email, or text is returned the same day it was received.