Available for Phone and Video Consultations
New York Immigration Lawyer
Call for a free consultation 914-358-5200

Non-immigrant Visas (H-1B, O, L-1, E-1, TN)

Coming to the United States can sometimes be a daunting, and overwhelming process for non-immigrants from all over the world. This is why it becomes vital to have the assistance of experienced Immigration Attorney Susan B. Henner. Ms. Henner will explain the visa process in detail, and can offer multi-lingual services.

Ms. Henner has assisted many hundreds of individuals. She and her staff speak Spanish, Polish, Romanian, and Italian, and provide individual attention to each case based upon the unique situation of the client. With over 17 years of legal experience, Ms. Henner has been exposed to virtually every Immigration situation. She understands that the visa process is extremely stressful to the employer and the applicant alike.

In order for a non-immigrant to legally enter the United States, he or she must acquire the proper legal status in the form of a visa. The U.S. government has created a series of non-immigrant visas which help to allow non-immigrants to enter the United States temporarily based upon the type of visa sought. This also means that each type of visa, has its own application process.

Non-immigrant visas are granted to allow temporary entrance into the United States for a specific purpose. Non-immigrant visas allow an individual Immigrant to remain in the United States for a specific amount of time only. Such visas may be granted to specific persons which include: business visitors; tourist visitors; student visas; temporary professional workers; training visas; business investors or traders; fiancées; intracompany transferees; extraordinary aliens to include athletes, artists, scientists and musicians; religious workers; victims of crimes and others. Susan Henner will assist you in understanding you each visa and the specific requirements of each, and she will guide you through the process of achieving the visa that is right for you or a loved one.

International visitors from many different countries come to the United States each year for tourism, and business. Visas are granted specifically based upon the purpose of the visit.

In addition, professionals may seek to enter the United States to work for a US Company in a specialty occupation or professional position. In this case, the person seeking such an entry would apply for the H-1B visa. This kind of visa will allow a professional to come to the United States to work in a specialty occupation requiring the services of a professional employee on a temporary basis. Such visas are available for three years and can be extended for an additional three year period. This type of visa is only valid for the specific employer and for the specific amount of time granted by the employer and by USCIS while the alien is employed for the specified employer. It requires sponsorship by the US employer as well as a filing with the US Department of Labor via a Labor Condition Application, whereby the employer agrees to pay the employee the designated prevailing wage for the position offered.

Another type of visa available in the United States is a type O-visa, which is granted to those with exceptional ability in a particular science or artistic field. This type of visa also requires sponsorship by a US employer or agent and allows persons with extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, or related fields to work in the United States temporarily. Susan Henner has obtained visas in this category for actresses, Broadway Musicians, Scientists, Artists, Photographers, and others who wish to further advance their careers in the United States.

The L-1 visa is granted to qualifying applicants for the purpose of work whereby the employee has been employed overseas for a parent, subsidiary or affiliate of a US company for at least one year, and the employee is seeking to enter the United States to work as a Manager, Executive or in a Specialized Knowledge position. New offices in the United States may also qualify to sponsor and transfer their overseas employees to work in the United States. The L visa is also employer specific.

The E visas are granted to nationals who are members of countries which have specific treaties with the United States and when the US Company is owned 51% by nationals of the foreign country. The E visa is available to treaty investors, or companies, which invest a ‘substantial’ amount of income into the US economy as well as treaty traders who engage in substantial trade with the foreign country.

The TN visa is unique to citizens of Canada and Mexico that meet the proper requirements to include a Bachelor’s Degree or certain experience requirements. This visa is contingent on the position offered, which must fall within specified NAFTA categories and is valid for one year.

Because of the ever-changing nature of Immigration Laws, if you are interested in obtaining a non-immigrant visa, it will be important for you to consult specifically with an immigration attorney who has experience in this area of law.

Susan B. Henner can offer you the services of a highly experienced Immigration Attorney, who has a strong passion for helping non-U.S. citizens achieve temporary status in the United States. Contact her today at 1-888-733-0141 or (914) 358-5200, by email at Susan@sbhenner.com, or use the contact form HERE on her website.